A pediatric or a child dentist is a dental surgeon qualified and expertly trained to treat dental problems in kids and children from infancy through the teenage years including those with special needs. Child dentistry is a specialized branch of dentistry that focuses on diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases of the mouth, teeth and gums.
Child dentistry focuses on one or more of the following-
- Dental examination and diagnosis along with child and parent counseling related to oral health and habits.
- Sealants for cavity prevention in the future in high risk children.
- Treatment options for dental decay and cavities including various types of fillings, crowns, extractions, and space maintainers according to the dental status.
- Management of dental emergencies like fractured/damaged teeth, severe tooth aches and facial soft tissue trauma and injury.
- The diagnosis, prevention and treatment of gum diseases.
- Fluoride application and fluoride home application advice for decay prevention.